Unbelievable! Has it really been one year since we started gapmuseWomen, as an extension of our blog? One year ago, it dawned on us that we needed to create a safe community for women to connect, collaborate, engage, and thrive together. Fast forward to today and we’re flawed by how much has happened ever since.
Here are our most memorable moments and accomplishments from our amazing community:
Grew our community to nearly 100 members! We welcomed women from all age groups and diverse backgrounds because we believe in the power of inclusivity and that our sisterhood is enriched by it.
Organized two memorable hiking events and one personal finance workshop
1. Mt. Diablo Hiking Adventure
We organized this event to one of the most picturesque and breathtaking mountains to help us kick off the spring. Our 2-hour hike did not disappoint! We couldn’t get enough of the spectacular landscapes, blooming spring flowers, awesome views, and great company. We topped off our hike with a picnic lunch where our 10 members got to learn more about each other and discuss the stuff that connects us all together. We came away rejuvenated, with a bigger sense of sisterhood and a renewed zest to take on the rest of the year.
2. Angel Island Hiking Adventure
After the overwhelming success of our Mt Diablo hike, we couldn’t wait for our summer adventure! This time around, our members selected the gorgeous Angel Island for our hike. Everything worked in our favor on our hiking day. From the beautiful weather, relaxing ferry ride to the island, to the stunning scenery and vibrant energy of our 11 members, we felt delightful. Our mission has always been to bring women of diverse backgrounds, ages, cultures, and perspectives together in sisterhood to laugh, learn from each other, and to inspire and support one another. We achieved all of this and more on that day. 🙂
3. Personal Finance Workshop
Organized with the help of one of our members, Caff n’ Cash, was our first-ever personal finance workshop with an amazing 30-year financial expert from Charles Schwab. During this invaluable session, we got insight into topics our members wanted to learn most about. These included how to build wealth, how to select investment options, how to budget, how to save for retirement, plus, how to measure financial wealth, set investment goals, and save for kid’s college.
Click here to join our vibrant community
Created 4 Learning Units to provide tools and resources our members shared they needed to help them get the most out of our community. Many of the resources within the Learning Units were created in collaboration with our community!
- Career Tips & Information – information to grow and manage your careers
- Finance & Investment Advice – financial and investment resources to manage finances and prepare for retirement
- Giving Back – resources, tools, and tips including a list of non-profit organizations to fulfill your desire to give back
- Lifestyle Tips & Information – helpful tips and information on food, health, travel, fashion, beauty, and more to live your best life
Engaged in hundreds of vibrant and meaningful discussions centered around the things we care about most, such as career management, giving back, personal finance, and women’s issues. Our most popular topics include:
- Celebrating our achievements
- Celebrating the achievements of notable women
- Women who inspired us throughout the year
- Empowering quotes
- Barriers that keep us from negotiating for more money
- Dad’s “Never Need to Know” workplace credo
- How to stop apologizing unnecessarily
- How to help homeless women gain access to feminine hygiene products
- Non-profits we love to support during Giving Tuesday and beyond
- Nasa’s all-female spacewalk
- The loss of one of our most beloved writers, Toni Morrison
- Passing of New Hampshire Law requiring all public schools to provide free menstrual products
- 2019 Women’s March in Oakland
- Countries our girlfriends are from (in honor of International Women’s Day)
- Michelle Obama’s Becoming Book and Tour
- Personal finance topics we care most about
- Personal finance workshop
- Our major sources for financial advice
- Hiking events
- Our favorites – movies, restaurants, spring destinations, recipes, era, summer vacation spots, Christmas activities, holiday songs, TV shows, books, and places to travel between Christmas and New Year
- Bucket lists
- Self-care on Mother’s Day
- Holiday moods
- Friday and weekend guilty pleasures
- Our favorite books
We’re excited for the year ahead and have a feeling that with our combined passion and dedication to our community, we will continue to accomplish great things.
Want to be part of our vibrant community?
Click here to join. We would be thrilled to have you!