When Fathers Day comes around, I can’t help but think about my dad, the important role that he has played in my life and the impact he has had in shaping the woman that I am today. With the exuberance, swag and stride of a young man, undeniable self-confidence, and an enviable love of life, my father is a charismatic, energetic, and an enterprising 80 year old man who makes me laugh and is still the life of a party. He may not be perfect (who is) but he is a pretty cool dad! There are many reasons why I celebrate my father everyday but on this Fathers Day, these 6 stand out the most:
- Zest for Life – he has a wonderful appreciation and love of life. He approaches it with great zeal and positivity no matter what he might be going through. I am grateful for it and assured that my optimistic outlook on life has been greatly influenced by him.
- Youthful Disposition – my father doesn’t think that he is young, he believes that he’s young and it shows. Short of the physical evidence that comes with the aging process, you would never know that you’re in the presence of an older man when you hang around him. It is not only refreshing, but also a great reminder that age really doesn’t matter. As long as you’re healthy and young at heart, you can continue to enjoy and appreciate life.
- Unconventional Wisdom – in my father’s household, it didn’t matter whether you were a boy or girl. He treated us equally, had the same expectations in terms of education and the pursuit of success and self-sufficiency for all his children, and never put any pressure on any of his 7 girls to get married. For a man of his generation, he was ahead of his time and in a league of his own. I’m convinced that because of his unconventional wisdom, I have never been afraid to lean in and do whatever it takes to accomplish my dreams.
- Work Ethic – my father believes in the hassle; you do whatever it takes to succeed – no excuses! He’s driven, ambitious, and entrepreneurial and I could not ask for a better role model.
- Sense of Style – he has an impeccable fashion sense. Growing up, I always thought he was the total package. From the stylish suits, crisp shirts, and fashionable cuff links to the perfectly shined shoes and swanky fedoras to complete his outfits, my father exuded cool, class, style, and confidence! Funny, I had an aha! moment the other day when I realized that he was the source of my love of fedoras! The apple definitely doesn’t fall far from the tree!
- Sense of Humor – whenever I speak with my dad, I know that I’m guaranteed a laugh! He is witty, funny, and doesn’t take himself too seriously, a quality that I know keeps him young.
Fathers and daughters share a special relationship and connection that should be nurtured and cherished. I bear witness to it with my own and family’s and friends’ daughters. The way they adore their fathers, seek their attention, get excited in their presence, feel a sense of security and look for their approval, appreciation and love underscores the importance of a good father in a girl’s life. The expectations of how love should be and feel are formed during their early childhood experiences with dad. It creates an invaluable learning environment for girls and a big responsibility for fathers and dad’s to be.
I am grateful for my father and thankful that I have the opportunity to celebrate him and what he means to me. I leave you today with two of my favorite songs about fathers; Dance with My Father by Luther Vandross and Wind Beneath My Wings by Gerald and Eddie Levert. Happy Fathers Day to all you wonderful fathers out there! You mean a lot to us!
Why do you celebrate your father?
- Dance With My Father (msauciana.wordpress.com)